Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I prematurely judged someone today and I feel bad about it. I was kind of upset with myself afterwards...I pulled into a parking spot right up front at Barnes and Noble, before I had a chance to get out a huge SUV pulls into the handicapped stall next to us. It was a young female with no obvious issues on why she should park there. I immediately thought to myself, how rude is that? Okay fine, now I see her put a handicap sticker on her mirror, it's probably for someone else I bet,  even though she's the only one I can see in the car. She looked fit and healthy to me so she sure doesn't need one....I watched as she got out of her car and opened the door of her car, and then the trunk. It started to take a while so I finally figured who cares and started to get Hunter out of my car to go in. Once I walked around my car I could finally see why she has a handicap sticker...she has a young baby with a trach, ventilator, feeding tube, you name it. No wonder she needs a spot up close. She had a double stroller, baby was in back seat and his monitors were in the front seat...

 I felt awful for prematurely judging this woman. She probably get enough stares and whispers and here I was making assumptions before I knew the whole story. I have no clue of what her baby's reason was for the trach and or ventilator etc. but when I see a child with a trach I can't help but wonder...Hunter never had as many machines and tubes as this baby had but it right away took me back to that first time in the hospital when Hunter had his trach put in. All the tubes, wires, noises..it was such a scary time. I still don't know how we made it through those first few days, weeks, months. I wanted to say something but at the same time, I didn't want to intrude....it's not my business. I didn't and I don't even know what I would have said....Just that, I've been there etc.? I don't know...

I still don't know why some kids are chosen to have special needs but I want to believe there is some good reason, whatever that may be...even if it doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment