Saturday, November 12, 2011

updates

This week I got word from Hunter's doctor that he was approved for a RSV antibody shot called Synagis. It helps protect him against this virus since he is more susceptible to illnesses because of his trach. I am very happy it was approved since this is a very expensive shot and of course insurance companies don't like to pay for expensive things like this! Unfortunately, it's a shot that he has to get once a months through Flu season... : (   Sorry little man...but it's better you get a little poke than get really sick! I take him to his doctor's on Tuesday for his first round. After that a home health nurse will come to our house to administer it.

On another note, I finally got the ball rolling with getting in touch with the doctors out in Cincinnati for a second opinion. As I have mentioned before, they are the "best of the best" when it comes to kids airway issues. I talked to the doctors assistant who took a lot of Hunter's info and she said that one of the nurses will be calling us next to get some more info from us. Sounds like they are scheduling out quite a ways, which is actually good since we don't plan on traveling until early next year, March or even April. I really think it's the right decision for us, yes, it would be much easier travel wise if we could go to Denver or Phoenix(and they are great hospitals) but I feel that if it's at all possible to go to the best, then we need to make that happen. Even if it will be quite a challenge as there will be multiple trips to Cincinnati.

1 comment:

  1. Great information KJersta. Continue journaling this way. It helps I think to write down your thoughts and it certainly helps myself and others to better understand what is going on with Hunter. We love the lighter topics as well.
    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete