Monday, May 7, 2012

Hunter the Brave

Hunter continues to do well. His incisions are healing very nicely the doctors have said everyday. The doctors do their rounds everyday at 6:30am...yes AM...Although I'm usually half asleep when the come by but between both Jeremy and I we manage to remember what they've said each morning.

Today they did Hunters first trach change post surgery. It went well, no issues. We don't even need to put gauze on his incisions, just some ointment they have given us.

I wish I could say his eating has improved..he still isn't too fond of food or drinks at this point. He did take a few sips from his sippy cup though. Better than nothing so I'll take it, but far from him being able to take out the feeding tube. We were shown how to use the feeding pump since its been decided we'll have to go home with it.

I have to admit I was quite sad and overwhelmed about this. Jeremy assured me that if we can get through learning all about caring for Hunters trach, than we can certainly figure out this feeding tube stuff. I really thought he would start eating better by now and not need it. The doctors assured us it's very normal for kids to go home with feeding tubes after this surgery. Thankfully it's only temporary. I'm hoping that even just getting Hunter home and in his normal environment that will help him start eating orally again.

Hunter was up and doing his rounds on the complex airway floor earlier today..and today he was digging the wagon much more than yesterday(he was not into it at all!)






Hunter in action...

2 comments:

  1. Glad things are going well. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so adorable. And Jeremy is right, you all are awesome parents, and you will learn this like the back of your hand. I have a feeling this will all fly by and he will have the trach out in no time. Big hugs and prayers for continued recovery.

    ReplyDelete